Tuesday, October 16, 2012

"I'm a Grandma"

We had a great time this weekend at the pumpkin patch.  We went to Weber's Farm, which is only 10 or so minutes from my parents, and I think James thoroughly enjoyed himself.  It was pretty insanely crowded, but we really tried to over look the lines for everything and have fun with James.  That can be difficult, because even not pregnant, I am not a patient person.  But we looked at animals, went on the slide, and ate lots of snacks.  The sheer amount of people also lead to James wanting to be carried more, a task which fell largely on Adam, since the boy is a bit heavy for me to be packing around at 7 months pregnant.  The line for the hayride never quite subsided, so we passed on that attraction (James also told Adam repeatedly that the tractor was going to get him, so I'm not sure what that was all about.)  All that aside, we came home with lots of goodies: gourds (James decided pumpkins were too big), apples, apple cider donuts, and a couple of pies that I could have really done without.  Things seemed to be calming down a bit as we were leaving around 4 PM, so perhaps that is a better time of day to go.  In a perfect world, we could take off work on a weekday and go then, but that is probably not in the cards for next year.
Something a bit odd happened while James, Adam and I were looking through the pumpkin bins though.  It was a nice fall day, but James and I have both had a tiny bit of a runny nose.  I had a bunch of tissues (I initially forgot them, but stole a box to take with us from my mom) in my pocket.  James was digging through the bin, so I couldn't see his face.  Out of nowhere, an older woman (definitely older than my mom, but not ancient by any means) hands me a napkin and says "Here, I'm a Grandma".  I took the napkin, but gave her a puzzled looked.  She proceeded to tell me that I needed to wipe my child's nose.  When I looked at James, yes he did have a little snot coming out, but it wasn't anything crazy.  So I said thank you (At least I think I did, at that point, Adam and I were kind of looking at each other like, "Huh?")  I couldn't even get out the fact that I had a ton of tissues with me, just couldn't see his face, etc. before she launched into her 4 grandkids and all but showed me their latest report cards.  I know she was trying to be helpful, but I was a little taken aback.  I just can't imagine my own mom, who is also a grandma (duh, Chelsea), handing tissues to someone she didn't even know.  I mean, I'm sure if someone asked, she would be more than happy to help out in a pinch.  Maybe that's because my mom actually understands normal (well, fairly normal...) social interactions.
I guess the whole "I'm a Grandma" explanation annoyed me a bit too.  Like, does this lady know she's a lot of other things besides a grandma?  Maybe she's not, maybe she's a Grandma spyborg sent to Baltimore, MD from outerspace.  Overall, not the worst thing that could happen, but I thought it was an overstep.

0 comments:

Post a Comment