Sunday, February 19, 2012

Arrrr, me mateys!

On Saturday we took James to his first birthday party.  Since we don't have a lot of friends with kids, we haven't had a lot of opportunities to takes James to parties and I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive about it all.  But it all turned out fine and we all had a great time.
Joel, from daycare, turned 4 and had a pirate themed party.  His mom teaches 3rd grade, so it was well organized, with lots of activities for the kids.  Everyone from daycare came, as well as a few other kids.  We got to witness first hand what Rhonda has been telling us about everyday.  James plays with the big kids and he plays hard.  I was amazed at not only how well he keeps up, but how much fun he has with all his friends.  Some of the activities were walking the plank (a plank was set up over a baby pool of balls and a stuffed alligator), decorating cookies, swabbing the deck with toy brooms, a treasure hunt to find a chest full of goodies, and pin the chest on the map.  Then lunch was served, chicken nuggets and french fries.  I was really happy with how well organized the party was and amazed at Jeannie's patience.
One of the funnier things at the party was the cookie decorating activity.  James was sitting at a table with 2 other kids when realized that there was a bowl of M&M's in the middle of the table.  Once he saw them, there was no point trying to stop him, those M&M's were going in his mouth.  James proceeded to eat the whole bowl, which made him very happy.  Also on the table were some little gold doubloons that were made of foil, basically.  James got one of those in his mouth and I quickly tried to get it out.  He bit me while I was after it, so I figured that he would live with the doubloon in his stomach.  Not my best parenting moment, but I'm assuming its passed by now.
Overall, we had a wonderful time and James took a good nap afterwards!

0 comments:

Post a Comment