Wednesday, February 8, 2012

20 month milestones

How is my little boy possibly 20 months old?  Adam was looking at his baby pictures over the weekend and I absolutely bawled over how big my baby has become.  I believe my exact quote was "he doesn't even need me anymore."  Yes, that was a bit melodramatic considering he wouldn't let me out of arm's reach this morning.  But that's ok, its nice to be wanted!  After looking at James' pictures, (and crying) Adam proceeded to show me a "baby" picture of Mac (the dog).  I almost cried again.  I'm a mess!


Mastered Skills (most kids can do)
Feeds doll
Yes, James will do this!  I only because Rhonda and I talked about what a silly milestone it was and then a few days later, James was doing it at daycare.
Takes off own clothes

He certainly tries to, but they aren't all the way off yet.  He's a big helper when getting dressed or undressed though, he knows where to put his arms and legs through, will give you his foot for socks or lean his head in for a hat.  I'm sure he will be getting naked on his own any day now.
Dumps an object in imitation, such as throwing garbage away

Yes, James will do this also.  He's a big fan of helping, so he'll give you something to throw away and will now put it in the trash can himself.  The only problem is when he starts throwing everything away.  We have been watching carefully, so hopefully nothing important is in the can!


Emerging Skills (half of kids can do)
Learns words at a rate of ten or more a day
Its hard to quantify how many words James is learning.  He'll repeat just about anything you ask him to, so does that count?  James picks up on most anything you're saying, so I guess this is a yes.  Maybe he just pretends to understand?  I have to throw in a proud momma moment, the other day, Adam asked James what color a stack of yellow blocks was and he said "yellow" like it was no big deal.  Duh, mom and dad, of course I know what color those blocks were.  He also got blue correct and sort of got a red out when asked about those blocks.  I had no idea he knew any colors yet, but I guess sitting down for preschool time with the big kids does have its benefits.
Can walk up stairs (but probably not down)

No, although he tries and it freaks me out.  


Advanced Skills (a few kids can do)
May start exploring genitals
Yes, James definitely is interested in his little man parts.  It makes diapers changes interesting and entertaining all at the same time.
Draws a straight line

Straight lines are the only kind of lines James really draws, but he's still more interested in eating crayons than drawing with them.
Names several body parts

I'm not sure if he's naming them so much, but he can say nose and tummy.  I'll call this 50-50 for naming several body parts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment