Sunday, January 8, 2012

19 month milestones

Mastered Skills (most kids can do)
Uses a spoon and fork
Yes!  More and more everyday.
Runs
Like a maniac.
Throws a ball underhand
Yes, underhand, overhand, the boy loves to play fetch with the dog.
Enjoys helping around the house
Yes, James does help a lot around the house.  He will put toys away when asked, give you his bowl or plate after dinner, take something to Adam for me if I don't feel like walking into another room, put something back that he wasn't supposed to have in the first place (like pieces of my broken closet door that I haven't fixed and are laying on my bedroom floor), find something for you such as his shoes or coat and hat, and other simple tasks.

Emerging Skills (half of kids can do)
Understands as many as 200 words
I can't really estimate how many words James understands, I think its a lot.  For instance, when he sees one of the cats, he will say hi and then meow at them.  Sometimes he will even make a hissing noise at the cats, since that's all they ever do to him.  So he knows that cats meow and hiss.  He does other similar things.  I am trying to think of all the things we tell him on a daily basis and he seems to pick up a lot.  He isn't at the phase where he repeats everything, but he will say a lot of words back to you.  I am going with a yes on this milestone.  Rhonda tells me that he doesn't miss a thing while hanging out with the big kids and will sit still for preschool time with them.  Really, let's face it - my kid's a genius.  I consulted with the genius' father, whose response was "Are you kidding me, of course he understands that many words."  So there you have it.
Recognizes when something is wrong (e.g., calling a dog a cat)
I can't really think of an instance where this has happened.

Advanced Skills (a few kids can do)
Washes and dries own hands with help
Yes.
Points to picture or object when you call it by name
He knows his nose, ears, tummy, mouth, and feet and will point to them.  He knows his sippy cup and bed.  So yes, he will point to a few things.
May know when he needs to pee
Not that I can tell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment