Thursday, March 15, 2012

Back to life

Well I am back from my trip to California.  It was a very quick trip and I think that I'm still pretty shell shocked from all of it.  For awhile there I wasn't even sure what state or time zone I was in, then you add in the change to Daylight Savings Time and all bets were off.  But I made it there and back in one piece.  I am so glad to be back with my family, but also so sad that now the reality of my Grandma being gone has to set in.  Trips with your family are always interesting events.  I'll say interesting for lack of a better (or nicer) word, but we all made it through a very tough day.
With the trip now over, I can say that I was glad that James stayed home with Adam.  The logistics of traveling with a 21 month old, coupled with the sheer emotion and devastation of the memorial would have been too much for us to handle.  I know that I will not be able to shield James from every hardship in life, but while he is young and I am able, I would prefer to not have him in situations like funerals or memorials.  Kids can really pick up on the emotions of those around them and something like life and death is all together scary at that age.  Adam and James had a fun boys weekend and then carried on with our regular work day schedule while I was gone.  I am very lucky that I have a partner like Adam who jump right into single parenting and do it so well.  Overall, it would have been selfish of me to take James along just so that I wouldn't be missing him.
Today is my first back at the office and I had a bit to catch up on, but nothing major.  I will be more than ready for the weekend to get here, even after only 2 days at work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment