Thursday, July 19, 2012

He's a peeing machine

I haven't updated much about James and potty training, because there really hasn't been a lot to report.  He will use the potty once a day, usually.  He still isn't communicating his need to potty, but we are still taking it slow.  This morning, I thought we hit a milestone.  James woke up and asked me to potty.  He pointed to the bathroom and said "Potty?" So we high-tailed it in there, got his pajamas off (James thinks he needs to be totally naked to potty) and got him on the potty.  James sat.  He sat.  And sat.  And sat.  For 10 or so long minutes.  Nothing.  James looked up at me from his NFL magazine and said "All done."  I, of course, knew he couldn't be all done, he hadn't peed and his overnight diaper was dry.
I asked him to sit and try a bit longer.  James looked at me and smiled.  Then proceeded to pee all over the bathroom.  When I told him that we pee on the potty, he stopped peeing, looked at me again, smiled, and STARTED to pee AGAIN.  As I was cleaning the bathroom floor, he made a few more stops, in the hallway and in his bedroom, once again, to pee.
So that was fun.
I told James in a stern, but kind voice, that pee goes in the potty or in a diaper.  As we sat on the floor to get a diaper on, a very contrite (and still naked) James snuggled into my lap.  I think he thought I was mad at him, and honestly, I was a little bit.  But I didn't yell or shame him, because really, its just some pee and I didn't want to be counterproductive.  After a struggle, James let me diaper and dress him and we were on our way for the rest of the morning.  As I brushed my teeth, James stood and clung to my leg, again probably thinking I was mad.    He really is a pretty sensitive kid and he knows when someone is upset.  At that point I wasn't really upset anymore, so I gave him a big hug and told him that I wasn't mad.  I don't think this incident will hinder our potty training and I think it was a good sign that he wanted to sit on the potty first thing in the morning.  I just need to keep him on there longer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment