Thursday, March 28, 2013

Oh, the gym

I've been going to the gym a lot recently.  (Yea, I know I said I wasn't going to write about weight loss, but this is more about the gym itself.)
There are some really funny characters at the gym.  I suppose I should include myself in there too, I'm by no means an athlete.  I like to think I was in a previous life, but in this one, I am just trying to pass and not look too stupid.
Here are some of my favorites at the gym:
1.  The guys who work out in jeans.  How is this at all comfortable?  I despise sweating in jeans, so why would you wear them somewhere that you're going to be sweating a lot?  Usually guys are just lifting weights in said jeans, but there's even a sign regarding the dress code by the front desk.  No jeans is clearly listed.
2.  The guys who make up exercises.  These guys usually have free weights.  Now again, I am no athlete.  But I did work out with a trainer before our wedding and she did a great job of teaching me about working out, correct stance/movement, and not hurting myself in the process.  I see guys (the free weights are directly in front of the treadmills and elliptical machines) just tossing weights in random motions, not really working out a particular muscle group, very random.  Maybe they're trying to sneak up on their muscles?
3.  I could be lumped into this category, but who knows.  One of my other favorite groups of people are the new people in brand new work out clothes.  The guys in work out tights (no really, men's tights) matching shorts, tank, and head band, sparkling gloves.  These are the guys that spend more time chatting and holding weights than actually lifting them.  Now I have some new work out clothes, but I do try to make the most of my time and I certainly don't chat, so maybe I only half count.
4.  This one is a doozie.  The ill-dressed ladies.  I saw a woman at the gym yesterday with rather large....  endowments.  She was wearing a push up bra and a low cut tank top.  Now, I am not as well...  endowed.  But if I'm moving on the treadmill or elliptical, most of my body is also moving.  I am not sure how she was keeping the "girls" in check, but she didn't seem to mind that she was falling out of her shirt.  Its the gym, who are you really trying to impress?  Even if I go straight from work to the gym, I always pack a sports bra to change into.
Did this turn into a rant?  Oops!  I suppose that observations from me end up being rants, but there you have it, the gym as I see it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment